Omar Bravo will face his former club, Chivas Guadalajara on Wednesday night at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park. (Photo by G. Newman Lowrance/Getty Images)
Buy Tickets Here
- Sporting Kansas City forward Omar Bravo played for Chivas Guadalajara from 2001-2008, and a portion of 2009, scoring 108 goals in his time at the club. He's currently second all-time in total goals scored for Chivas, trailing only Salvador Reyes, who finished his Chivas career with 122. It'll be interesting to see Bravo play against his former club, even if he doesn't play anywhere near a full ninety minutes.
- Much like the Sporting Reserve League game against FC Dallas last week, the match against Guadalajara should give Sporting Kansas City fans a chance to see some of the younger players on the club that don't get the chance to feature for the first team. I would imagine players like Soony Saad, and Lawrence Olum, among others, will have a chance to show Sporting Kansas City head coach Peter Vermes what they can do.
- It will also be interesting to see who Vermes has in his starting lineup, and exactly how long he'll keep those players in the game. Since tomorrow night is a friendly, I'm sure Vermes won't risk his normal starters any longer than he feels absolutely obligated to, if they even start at all. Saturday against New York is the game Sporting will have their eyes on, but it should still be fun watching the youngsters give 110 percent.
- Anyone else find it incredibly strange having a friendly right in the thick of the playoff race? I understand there are many factors that go into these things, such as scheduling between the two clubs. Much like the Newcastle United friendly earlier this year, I'm sure MLS has to bend to meet other leagues' schedules if they want to cash in on the kind of revenue clubs like Chivas and Newcastle can bring to Major League Soccer. It makes sense, but it's still odd, which is why I keep referring to it as a glorified scrimmage, or an additional Reserve League match.
- No television for this match, which means no Callum Williams. You can bet only one person in Kansas City will be happy about this.
Are you excited about Wednesday's match against Chivas Guadalajara?
Yes. I'm excited to see some of Sporting's younger players. (12 votes)
No. Bring on New York! (4 votes)
16 total votes